In partnership with the 30 members of the No Place for Poverty Coalition, the GNWT formed an Anti-Poverty Advisory Committee to lead in the development of a Northwest Territories Action Plan. Building on the work to date, including the No Place for Poverty Workshop and What We Heard from Northerners about Poverty Report, the Committee was formed from a cross-section of groups and organizations to ensure ongoing collaboration takes place with communities, non-government organizations, business, labour, and people living in poverty in the NWT. The Anti-Poverty Advisory Committee members included:
- Co-Chair, Dehcho representative - Chief of the Liidlii Kue First Nation (Minnie Letcher)
- Co-Chair, GNWT representative – Bronwyn Watters
- Territorial NGO representative – Julie Green
- Community Government - Mayor Mark Heyck
- IRC representative – Bob Simpson
- Community representative – Chief Herbert Blake
The Territorial Action Plan was tabled in May 2015. Thank you to the Advisory Committee for their excellent work, and to the many people, paid and volunteer, who contributed to the visioning and are working to eliminate poverty.
Click here to read Working Together: An Action Plan to Reduce and Eliminate Poverty in the Northwest Territories. It includes introductory messages from the Minister and the former Advisory Committee. The Terms of Reference for the Advisory Committee are available here for your information.